Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mom's Day

My mom's funeral was beautiful yesterday.  So many people attended.  Sister Monique made the service very personal by reading a short poem I'd written about my mom and she presented us with a small needlepoint picture, made by her sister, of a sailboat with the words "Sail on!" underneath it.  

My brother-in-law sang the following song and made everyone sniffle.  I wrote the words a couple years ago for my mom's 82nd birthday and he put them to music.   My mom's name, Fleurette, means, "little flower."


Our Flower


VERSE
We want to write a song
about how great a mom you’ve been
We want to mention all the things
you’ve done again and again
We search our mind for memories
of you throughout the years
And there are just so many.
Some bring smiles and some bring tears.


VERSE
We see you sewing in the night
and braiding hair and rugs
Cooking meals and cleaning
and always there with hugs
You slowly knit us sweaters
after we were tucked in bed.
You always put yourself last
and did for us instead.


CHORUS
You made our lives a garden
giving us a loving start.
You may be a “little flower”
but you’ve got a big, big heart.


VERSE
We see you beating us at cards
and winning at the slots,
Playing golf, and bowling,
and washing tons of pots.
And when the days got cloudy
and cancer tried to win
We see you fighting bravely
and never giving in.


BRIDGE
We grew in sunshine
and in rain from above
We grew tall and straight
because of your love.


CHORUS
You made our lives a garden
giving us a loving start.
You may be a “little flower”
but you’ve got a big, big heart.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I can tell your mother was a wonderful woman just by reading the lyrics of the song you wrote just for her. Obviously, she led a full life. I smiled when I got to the line about the slots. A song is a beautiful way to honor her.