Saturday, September 8, 2007

Made It Through the First Week! & 5th Moon ATC





It actually went very well. I think I got the cream of the crop for my British Literature students. They are bright and attentive and only two kids failed the first vocab quiz.

My tenth graders are a low level group but they make up for it with personality. This class is going to keep me on my toes but will also be loads of fun.

My third block class is called Fundamentals and it is composed of 8 juniors and seniors who are wonderful students; they are rarely absent, they never get in trouble, they do all their assignments, and they try very hard but English is not their forte so they struggle with it. I've taught this course for several years now and am always surprised and pleased with the results. On Thursday, all my classes did journal writing and I insisted that they write poems. Of course this freaked them out but since they had to do it they tried and were secretely pleased with the results. I asked if anyone wanted to share and no one in my Brit Lit. class was willing. A couple kids in the 10-2 class were brave and read theirs, but the Fundamental kids came through with about 5 kids willing to share. And their poems were rich in images and really good.

A teacher can't ask for more than that. I am very lucky! Now, if the next 35 weeks go as smoothly, I'll be happy.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have really enjoyed your ATC journaling. What a novel idea! I can't seem to settle down and create anything lately. Your ATC project has inspired me. I'll post some as they come to be!

Linda said...

Glad to hear that your dry spell is ending. That's how I felt all summer. I had time to create but nothig was happening. Now that I'm back at school, I can't wait to get started on my next project! (An AB for my duaghter of her wedding, I think) Life makes sense again!

Linda said...

Okay, I know how to spell "nothing" and "daughter"! Duh!