Thursday, August 23, 2007

Altered Book pages 15&16



Memere was always a very stern woman and I love this picture of her smiling with my mom.

My grandfather, Pepere, was such a handsome man. I feel like I never really knew these grandparents because they spoke mostly French and I didn't.

Last spring there was an article in the local newspaper about how my grandfather had been in an accident and helped save several people. I wrote the following poem about it.

Pepere

I never knew

my grandfather

was a hero.

I remember him

as just being there

smiling at me

like a photograph

caught in the gauze

of my memory.

I never thought

of him as a man

going to work,

playing with his kids,

telling a joke,

listening to music.

What foods did he like?

What made him laugh?

What were his dreams?

The picture I have

of him is one-dimentional,

flat, gray.

I don't know

what color shirt

he was wearing

when his car

went into the water.

I can't see the weather.

Did he scream

as he helped the women

out of the water?

Did they hug him

in thanks? Pepere,

who were you?

No comments: